NAMI Family Support Group
NOTE: All support groups and classes are currently being held virtually on Zoom due to COVID-19. Please contact the Warmline at (866) 960-6264 or email@example.com. Visit our Online Support Group Schedule to learn more.
What is the NAMI Family Support Group?
This drop-in, confidential support group is designed for family members, caregivers and loved ones of individuals living with serious mental illness. Groups meet weekly (or monthly) to provide a safe and confidential place to talk about the challenges and to help one another by sharing their learned wisdom. Led by trained facilitators, the groups follow a structured model, ensuring that everyone has an opportunity to be heard. See our Calendar for meeting times. Pre-registration is not required. Call our Warmline (866-960-6264) for more information.
- Free to participants
- Designed for adult loved ones (18+) of individuals living with mental illness
- Led by family members of individuals living with mental illness
- Meets weekly or monthly
- No specific medical therapy or medication is endorsed or recommended
What You’ll Gain
By sharing your experiences in a safe and confidential setting, you gain hope and develop supportive relationships. This group allows your voice to be heard, and provides an opportunity for your personal needs to be met. It encourages empathy, productive discussion and a sense of community. You’ll benefit through other’s experiences, discover your inner strength and learn now to identify local resources and how to use them.
NAMI Family Support Group will help you:
- See the individual first, not the illness
- Recognize that mental illnesses are medical illnesses that may have environmental triggers
- Understand that mental illnesses are traumatic events
- Aim for better coping skills
- Find strength in sharing experiences
- Reject stigma and not tolerate discrimination
- Not judge anyone’s pain
- Forgive ourselves and reject guilt
- Embrace humor as healthy
- Accept that we cannot solve every problem
- Work for a better future in a realistic way
What People are Saying
“Using the [NAMI] support group model is so essential to the success of our family support groups. As a group, the collective wisdom covered a lot of possibilities.”
“The most beneficial thing for me was that I am not alone. I found the NAMI Family Support Group at the time I really needed it!”
“I really value the wisdom, spirit, and humor of this wonderful community — I’ve been attending for three years.”
“The networked information about therapists, legal services, medication, groups, and legislation have been really helpful.”
“It’s a place where I don’t feel judged.”