May is Mental Health Month: Why Care?
U.S. Mental Health Facts
- 1 in 5 adults lives with a mental health condition.
- 1 in 25 adults (10M) lives with a serious mental illness.
- 43.8M people face the day-to-day reality of living with mental illness.
- Half of all lifetime mental health conditions begin by age 14 and 75% begin by age 24.
- Hispanic Americans and African Americans used mental health services about half the rate of whites in the past year.
- 90% of those who die by suicide have an underlying mental illness.
- Suicide is the 10th leading cause of death, but is preventable.
- Between 70 and 90% of individuals have significant reduction of symptoms and improved quality of life with the right treatments and supports.